Friday, August 17, 2012

Things I Learned from Chef Abroad

I used to watch Chef Michael Smith’s Chef At Home when I still lived with my parents. I like the show because he teaches viewers what other ingredients to use if in case you find there’s none of what you need in your pantry. He doesn’t have a recipe with him but works on what’s readily available. He teaches ingenuity in cooking. So when I learned he has a new show, I knew I shouldn’t pass up the chance. I didn’t know that by watching Chef Abroad, I’d be learning a whole lot of fascinating things. It really interests me whenever I see and hear about cultures and traditions of other nations. Through the show, I somehow realized we are all very different, but still very much alike, if that makes any sense. If money is not a concern, I’d probably go out of my way, visit countries from around the globe and go exactly how Chef Michael explored the world and its cuisines. I’m jealous. Because he has the best job ever.

 

Jordanian’s extra ordinary gesture is “your neighbour before yourself” (quite atypical but distinctive and sacred)

In Jordan the tradition of eating from the same big plate and the same food with your bare hands is an ultimate show of hospitality and generosity.

Stroopwafels are forbidden in Netherlands.

The truffle capital of the world is Alba, Italy.

Black truffles are ten times more expensive than white truffles.



New Zealand’s contribution to the world of pastry is pavlova.

Rabbits are a local delicacy in New Zealand.

Wales has food ambassador.

Salt marsh lamb is the best in Wales.

In Greece, no day is more special than Easter.

In Japan, the things one can do to offend the chef are: putting too much soy sauce in your food, leaving your chopsticks into the rice and left over foods.

P.S. did you watch this show too?

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for reading this post!

Email thethoughtbubbleblog@gmail.com for queries, request or suggestions, thanks!