Thursday, March 6, 2014

how to observe the Season of Lent


I grew up with my grandmother and most of how I manifest my Catholic faith came from what I learned from her. This Lent I can't help but remember how as a child we took this obligation to heart. Now that I'm older and grandmama is in heaven, I fulfill it my way but this time with much understanding how fast and abstinence must and should be done. I read this article explaining the Code of Canon Law and if we share the same faith this might be of help to better your understanding of it too .

 
All Fridays throughout the year and the time of Lent are penitential days.

Abstinence from eating meat is to be observed on all Fridays of the year (that's the reason why we grew up having monggo as ulam every Friday) except during solemnities such as Annunciation, Assumption, All Saints etc. if they fall on a Friday, we neither abstain or fast.

Abstinence requires a Catholic 14 years of age until death to abstain from eating meat on Fridays in honor of the Passion of Jesus on Good Friday. (Meat or any food made out of it like soups or gravies.)

Fasting requires a Catholic 18 years of age until 60 to reduce the amount of food normally consumed. The Church defines this as one meal and 2 smaller meals a da
y. If these 2 smaller meals have to be added, it should not exceed the main meal in terms of quantity. Fasting is obligatory on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. The fast is broken by eating drinks considered to be food like milkshakes (but not milk) in between meals.

Those who are excused from fasting and abstinence are "those of unsound mind, the sick, the frail, pregnant or nursing women according to need for meat or nourishment, manual laborers according to need."

Catholics are also encouraged to impose some personal penance on themselves at other times. Like multiplying the number of times you abstain or the number of times you fast. You can also choose to give up things you enjoy like sweets, softdrinks or smoking. (Last year I gave up sweets and I lessened my rice intake, this year I'm thinking of extending fasting and abstinence on all Wednesdays and Fridays of Lent.)

Just be reminded that "any deprivation that would seriously hinder us in carrying out our work, as students, employees or parents would be contrary to the will of God."
(Source: The Holy Season of Lent,Fast and Abstinence.Colin B. Donovan, STL)


No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for reading this post!

Email thethoughtbubbleblog@gmail.com for queries, request or suggestions, thanks!