Friday, March 22, 2013

how to make Fried Chicken and Pumpkin Soup

There’s no fried chicken (at least to me) that’s epic fail. The simplest way to cook it is just by seasoning it with salt and pepper then deep fry it. There are so many ways to have and enjoy it. Others use flour, egg and breadcrumbs to coat the chicken and yield a crunchier version. I once saw a ready-mix for buffalo wings and that we also liked. Korean version that’s sweet is also irresistible. Chef Boy has this version where he steams the chicken first and then proceeds with deep frying. And that’s what I replicated.

 Fried Chicken by Chef Boy

Procedure:
Rub chicken with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Add spring onion stalks, 2pcs bay leaves and 1-2 tbsp fish sauce (patis) to water in steamer.
Steam chicken for 30 minutes.
Remove chicken to cool down and rub a little more patis all over it.
Deep fry for 5-8 minutes or until golden brown.
Enjoy!

P.S. When the chicken cooled down and I had to rub patis all over again (before deep frying it), it scared me that it might end up a very salty fried chicken so I went low with fish sauce. It actually ended up kinda bland so I guess rubbing it all over the chicken won’t make it salty much (don’t go all out though), besides if Chef Boy said rub more patis all over it, go rub it all the way :)

 -------------------------------------------------- o O o  -------------------------------------------------

I’m into soups these days, not the canned or pouched version (where you’ll only add boiling water) but the kind where you’ll painstakingly do it from scratch. I once saw on TV how pumpkin soup was made, of course its squash to us so I tried the show’s version since it only needed a few ingredients. This is good for babies too.
 Squash Soup

Procedure:
Boil squash in a pot full of water with salt, pepper and garlic until soft. Let cool.
Blend the boiled squash with onions and chicken broth (diluted with water) in blender until smooth.
In a pot, add the squash puree, boil.
Once boiled, add salt and all purpose cream. Cook for 15 minutes.
Garnish with parsley.

P.S. I tried doing it again and made a few edits because I didn’t like it the first time. For one, I didn’t like the onions there so I omitted it the second time. You might try doing it as is if you like onions. Or maybe had I used white onions I would have liked it more. I thought of using red onions initially because I never liked the sweeter white ones, so that would be your call. Use the water where you boiled the squash, to dilute the chicken broth because all the nutrients of the vegetable were left in there. It would defeat the purpose of having a healthy soup if we just throw it away, so if you want to adjust the thickness of the soup have it on hand. And since all purpose cream is yummy but not really healthy I tried pouring in milk as a substitute. There was no evaporated milk available (again) so I tried using powdered milk (which I have in my pantry) diluted in hot water instead. Surprisingly, I liked it all the better.

any suggestions for these dishes?









No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for reading this post!

Email thethoughtbubbleblog@gmail.com for queries, request or suggestions, thanks!